Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/2] git-p4: "alien" branches and load changelist info from file

From: "Mazo, Andrey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 19:54:12 +0000

This patch series introduces two experimental features to git-p4,
which unrelated to each other.
 1. The first patch adds support for so-called "alien" branches.
    The feature lets git-p4 create empty commits
    to make the history or tags more accurate.
    It is particularly useful when splitting a large Perforce depot
    into multiple git repositories.
 2. The second patch adds support for loading changelist information from a file.
    (`p4 -G describe` equivalent)
    The original use case is to be able to migrate a Perforce depot,
    which database got a little bit corrupted, into git.

It would be nice to get some feedback to see
if these features are usable in general and are worth mainlining at all.

The patches don't contain documentation or test changes yet,
because I wanted to get feedback first
if there is interest in mainlining these features in the first place.

This patch series should be applied on top of
"[PATCH v2 0/7] git-p4: a few assorted fixes for branches, excludes" [1]

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/t/#m965fb5895d25d6b42638dd8efbb96e9fa9182978

Andrey Mazo (2):
  git-p4: introduce alien branch mappings
  git-p4: support loading changelist descriptions from files

 git-p4.py | 84 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 1 file changed, 71 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

base-commit: 8104ec994ea3849a968b4667d072fedd1e688642
prerequisite-patch-id: 23e039fec7a1f5c51c98326a14d788adb1ecb5ba
prerequisite-patch-id: 030a0acdce715ff99916fd412832e5a9471225c3
prerequisite-patch-id: 10661f77392f4131d2375976c77a7cd231fdf9ab
prerequisite-patch-id: a55360c904eba1b9e9c934405d3141eb96c5ad30
prerequisite-patch-id: 46357586199c02d956d53d782a12f1ee0c991302
prerequisite-patch-id: c683e7d6017580df9385a1544af409ca615d770c
prerequisite-patch-id: 411dcb5e95aff036e0cb3e850ea75f2424b260a6
-- 
2.19.2