Subject: [PATCH 0/3] tag: prevent recursive tags

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 00:53:14 -0700

Peff said:
> Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Now we just need somebody to write
> the patch...
> 
> -Peff

Hey would you look at that, somebody wrote the patch!

---

Earlier in the mailing list[1], Robert Dailey reported confusion over
some recursive tags.

Peff noted that he hasn't seen a tag-to-a-tag in the wild so in most
cases, it'd probably be a mistake on the part of a user. He also
suggested we error out on a recursive tag unless "--allow-recursive-tag"
is provided.

This patchset implements those suggestions.

[1]: https://public-inbox.org/git/CAHd499BM91tf7f8=phR4Az8vMsHAHUGYsSb1x9as=[email-masked]/
[2]: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Denton Liu (3):
  tag: prevent recursive tags
  t7004: ensure recursive tag behavior is working
  git-tag.txt: document --allow-recursive-tag option

 Documentation/git-tag.txt      |  7 ++++++-
 advice.c                       |  2 ++
 advice.h                       |  1 +
 builtin/tag.c                  | 30 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 t/annotate-tests.sh            |  2 +-
 t/t0410-partial-clone.sh       |  2 +-
 t/t4205-log-pretty-formats.sh  |  2 +-
 t/t5305-include-tag.sh         |  2 +-
 t/t5500-fetch-pack.sh          |  2 +-
 t/t6302-for-each-ref-filter.sh |  4 ++--
 t/t7004-tag.sh                 | 12 ++++++++++--
 t/t9350-fast-export.sh         |  4 ++--
 12 files changed, 54 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)

-- 
2.21.0.512.g57bf1b23e1