Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/3] Add a JSON Schema for trace2 events

From: Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 16:31:34 -0700

This is a proof of concept series that formalizes the structure of trace2 event
output using JSON-Schema [1].

It provides a validator (written in Go) that verifies the events in a given
trace2 event output file match the schema. I am happy to rewrite this validator
in some other language, provided that the language has a JSON-Schema library
supporting at least draft-04.

In the long term, I think it would be useful to add a regression test that
collects the trace2 output of the entire test suite and runs the validator
against that. On my machine, this takes about 15 minutes of run time to validate
the 1.7M events created by a full test run.

If such a regression test is in place, users of the trace2 event output can be
relatively confident that the output format has not changed so long as the
schema file remains the same and the regression test is passing.

[1]: https://json-schema.org/

Josh Steadmon (3):
  trace2: correct trace2 field name documentation
  trace2: Add a JSON schema for trace2 events
  trace2: add a schema validator for trace2 events

 Documentation/technical/api-trace2.txt        |   2 +-
 t/trace_schema_validator/.gitignore           |   1 +
 t/trace_schema_validator/Makefile             |  10 +
 t/trace_schema_validator/event_schema.json    | 398 ++++++++++++++
 t/trace_schema_validator/strict_schema.json   | 511 ++++++++++++++++++
 .../trace_schema_validator.go                 |  74 +++
 6 files changed, 995 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
 create mode 100644 t/trace_schema_validator/.gitignore
 create mode 100644 t/trace_schema_validator/Makefile
 create mode 100644 t/trace_schema_validator/event_schema.json
 create mode 100644 t/trace_schema_validator/strict_schema.json
 create mode 100644 t/trace_schema_validator/trace_schema_validator.go

-- 
2.22.0.410.gd8fdbe21b5-goog