Subject: [PATCH 0/3] format-patch: teach --infer-cover-subject option

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 22:37:31 -0400

Currently, format-patch only puts "*** SUBJECT HERE ***" when a cover
letter is generated. However, it is already smart enough to be able to
populate the cover letter with the branch description so there's no
reason why it cannot populate the subject as well.

Teach format-patch the --infer-cover-subject and corresponding
format.inferCoverSubject configuration option which will read the
subject from the branch description using the same rules as for a commit
message (that is, it will expect a subject line followed by a blank
line).

Also includes some other cleanup along the way.

This was based on patches 1-3 of an earlier patchset I sent[1].

[1]: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Denton Liu (3):
  t4014: clean up style
  Doc: add more detail for git-format-patch
  format-patch: infer cover letter from branch description

 Documentation/config/format.txt    |   5 +
 Documentation/git-format-patch.txt |  35 +-
 builtin/log.c                      |  56 ++-
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh            | 656 ++++++++++++++++-------------
 4 files changed, 425 insertions(+), 327 deletions(-)

-- 
2.23.0.248.g3a9dd8fb08