Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] asciidoctor-extensions: provide `<refmiscinfo/>`

From: Martin Ågren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 20:51:19 +0200

Almost half a year ago, I wrote:
> To be clear. *This* patch has a sufficiently incorrect commit message
> that it really needs a makeover. You can expect a v2.

Finally, here's that v2. I should probably refresh memories: The goal of
the main patch here is to make the headers and footers of our manpages
built by Asciidoctor look a lot more like those generated by AsciiDoc.
In particular, this gets rid of the ugly "[FIXME: source]".

I spent a little bit of time trying to work on the XML as XML, and
quite a lot of time procrastinating on that. In the end, I decided that
the outcome of my attempts wouldn't get better and that there is some
value to the stupid approach from v1 of doing a simple search-and-replace
in the text. I've preserved my attempts in the commit message.

When I posted v1, it turned into quite a thread [1] on AsciiDoc vs
Asciidoctor vs Asciidoctor 2.0 and differences in rendering. (I am on
Asciidoctor 1.5.5.)

Among other things, the v1-thread discussed switching the rendering
toolchain entirely to avoid the detour over xmlto. Doing that would
render this patch obsolete. While I agree that such a switch is the
correct long-term goal and that we can be fairly aggressive about it, I
do also think it makes sense to first make the "softer" switch to
Asciidoctor-by-default and get that particular hurdle behind us. Then,
once we're ok with dropping AsciiDoc entirely, we can do the switch to
an Asciidoctor-only toolchain.

(I'm preparing a second, independent series of patches that should halve
the difference (sans headers/footers) between these two engines -- at
least the versions of them that I'm using. The remaining differences are
then mainly, but not exclusively, in favor of Asciidoctor. That series
should appear on the list within the next couple of days. After that,
there's user-manual.html/pdf that needs looking into...)

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Martin Ågren (2):
  asciidoctor-extensions: provide `<refmiscinfo/>`
  doc-diff: replace --cut-header-footer with --cut-footer

 Documentation/asciidoctor-extensions.rb | 15 +++++++++++++++
 Documentation/doc-diff                  | 17 ++++++++---------
 2 files changed, 23 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

-- 
2.23.0