Subject: [PATCH v4 0/3] format-patch: learn --cover-from-description option

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 12:12:49 -0700

Hi all, since 'dl/format-patch-doc-test-cleanup' has calmed down and
merged into 'master', I think now's a good time to revive this topic.
I've incorporated Philip's --cover-letter-from-description idea (and
shortened it so it's not so verbose) so now it should be a lot more
general than the old --infer-cover-subject.

Currently, format-patch only puts "*** SUBJECT HERE ***" when a cover
letter is generated. However, it is already smart enough to be able to
populate the cover letter with the branch description so there's no
reason why it cannot populate the subject as well.

Teach format-patch the `--cover-from-description` option and
corresponding `format.coverFromDescripion` configuration option which
will allow it to populate not only the body but the subject as well.

Changes since v3:

* Change --infer-cover-subject to --cover-from-description

* No more test cleanup patches (they were merged in
  'dl/format-patch-doc-test-cleanup')

Changes since v2:

* Break 1/4 into many different patches (one per paragraph of the
  original patch)

* Incorporate Eric's documentation/commit message suggestions

Changes since v1:

* Incorporate Eric's suggestions for cleanup in all patches

* Add patch 3/4 to make it clear what is the default value for
  format.coverLetter (since format.inferCoverSubject was borrowed from
  this config but it also did not state what the default value was)

* In 1/4, rename all instances of "expected" to "expect"

Denton Liu (3):
  format-patch: remove erroneous and condition
  format-patch: use enum variables
  format-patch: teach --cover-from-description option

 Documentation/config/format.txt    |   6 +
 Documentation/git-format-patch.txt |  22 ++++
 builtin/log.c                      | 114 +++++++++++++------
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh            | 172 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 4 files changed, 280 insertions(+), 34 deletions(-)

-- 
2.23.0.17.g7cce04acd6.dirty