Subject: [PATCH 0/8] builtin/config: canonicalize "value_regex" with `--type=bool[-or-int]`

From: Martin Ågren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:54:59 +0100

To find all config items "foo.*" that are configured as the Boolean
value "true", you can try executing

  git config --type=bool --name-only --get-regexp '^foo\.' true

... and hope that you didn't spell "true" as "on", "True" or "1" back
when you populated your config. This shortcoming has been mentioned as a
left-over bit [1] [2].

This patch series teaches `git config` to canonicalize the incoming
"value_regex" ("true" in the example above), then canonicalize candidate
values as we go through the config. Or if you will, `git config` learns
a brand new type of regex, corresponding to the different ways there are
of spelling "true" and "false", respectively.

`--type=bool-or-int` gets the same treatment, except we need to to be
able to handle the ints and regexes matching particular ints that we
must expect. That said, even with `--type=bool` we can't move too
aggressively towards *requiring* that the incoming "value_regex"
canonializes as a Boolean value. The penultimate patch starts to warn on
non-canonicalizing values; the final patch makes us bail out entirely.

The last patch is not meant for immediate inclusion, but I post it
anyway. I can re-submit it at an appropriate time, or maybe it could
slumber on pu until the time is ripe for completing the switch.

[1] https://git-blame.blogspot.com/p/leftover-bits.html
[2] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Martin Ågren (8):
  config: make `git_parse_maybe_bool_text()` public
  t1300: modernize part of script
  builtin/config: extract `handle_value_regex()` from `get_value()`
  builtin/config: collect "value_regexp" data in a struct
  builtin/config: canonicalize "value_regex" with `--type=bool`
  builtin/config: canonicalize "value_regex" with `--type=bool-or-int`
  builtin/config: warn if "value_regex" doesn't canonicalize as boolean
  builtin/config: die if "value_regex" doesn't canonicalize as boolean

 Documentation/git-config.txt |   5 +
 builtin/config.c             |  84 +++++++++++----
 config.c                     |   2 +-
 config.h                     |   7 ++
 t/t1300-config.sh            | 199 ++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
 5 files changed, 203 insertions(+), 94 deletions(-)

-- 
2.24.0