Subject: [PATCH 0/5] format-patch: improve handling of `format.notes`

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 05:10:36 -0800

In this email[1], Elijah pointed out that the handling of multiple
`format.notes` configurations could be buggy. If we had
`format.notes = <ref1>`, `format.notes = false` and
`format.notes = <ref2>`, the behaviour is ambiguous. This series uses
the way `--notes=<ref1> --no-notes --notes=<ref2>` is handled as a model
and structures the handling of `format.notes` in a similar manner,
allowing one `format.notes = false` to override previous configs.

Also, in the same email, it was pointed out that git_config() should be
called before repo_init_revisions(). In 13cdf78094 (format-patch: teach
format.notes config option, 2019-05-16), the order was reversed. This
series changes it back such that git_config() is called before
repo_init_revisions().

This series is based on top of 'dl/format-patch-notes-config'.

It has minor textual conflicts with 'pu'. The merge resolution can be found at
https://github.com/Denton-L/git.git on branch
'published/published/pu-format-patch-notes-config'.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Denton Liu (5):
  notes: rename to load_display_notes()
  notes: create init_display_notes() helper
  notes: extract logic into set_display_notes()
  format-patch: use --notes behavior for format.notes
  format-patch: move git_config() before repo_init_revisions()

 builtin/log.c           | 26 +++++++++-----------------
 notes.c                 | 30 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 notes.h                 | 21 ++++++++++++++++++---
 revision.c              | 22 +++++-----------------
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh | 32 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 5 files changed, 94 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)

-- 
2.24.0.627.geba02921db