Subject: [PATCH 0/6] Doc: drop support for docbook-xsl before 1.74

From: Martin Ågren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:18:04 +0200

In the documentation Makefile and a few helper conf and xsl files, we
carry various workarounds to make the docs build at all or to look
better with older docbook-xsl versions. Let's see if we can't just drop
that support. All of this seems to have been useful at one point, but I
doubt that anyone needs this nowadays. This was also suggested in [1].

The final commit in this series bumps the minimum required version of
docbook-xsl to 1.74.0, which is from June 2008. The whole series should
be a no-op unless you're on an older release than that. That said, I've
only tested this with the version that comes with my OS, 1.79.1.

After this series, user-manual.conf still refers to older docbook-xsl
versions. The proper fix there might be to actually be a bit more
aggressive and drop that hunk, making the rendered docs prettier.
There's some history there, including mentions of texinfo, which is
outside my comfort zone. I've got work in progress there, but I'd rather
submit that separately from these "expected no-op" patches.

Martin

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Martin Ågren (6):
  Doc: drop support for docbook-xsl before 1.71.1
  Doc: drop support for docbook-xsl before 1.72.0
  Doc: drop support for docbook-xsl before 1.73.0
  manpage-bold-literal.xsl: stop using git.docbook.backslash
  manpage-normal.xsl: fold in manpage-base.xsl
  INSTALL: drop support for docbook-xsl before 1.74

 Documentation/Makefile                 | 23 -----------------
 Documentation/asciidoc.conf            | 19 --------------
 Documentation/manpage-1.72.xsl         | 14 -----------
 Documentation/manpage-base.xsl         | 35 --------------------------
 Documentation/manpage-bold-literal.xsl |  6 ++---
 Documentation/manpage-normal.xsl       | 25 +++++++++++++-----
 Documentation/manpage-suppress-sp.xsl  | 21 ----------------
 Makefile                               |  6 -----
 INSTALL                                |  4 +--
 9 files changed, 22 insertions(+), 131 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 Documentation/manpage-1.72.xsl
 delete mode 100644 Documentation/manpage-base.xsl
 delete mode 100644 Documentation/manpage-suppress-sp.xsl

-- 
2.26.0