Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/2] extend --abbrev support to diff-patch format

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 09:19:03 +0700

For some reason, projects tracks local copy of released version of other
projects, and backports change to earlier version.

Due to lower number of object in simplified history,
abbreviated object id has fewer characters, thus generate some noise
when projects try to compare the backported patch with original patch
if the file hunk is an exact match.

This series try to lower that noise.
Since this is very localised use case,
and the noise is not completely eliminated,
other experienced developers may have better opinions.

Đoàn Trần Công Danh (2):
  revision: differentiate if --no-abbrev asked explicitly
  diff: extend --abbrev support to diff-patch format

 Documentation/diff-options.txt                |  9 +++---
 diff.c                                        |  5 +++-
 revision.c                                    |  2 +-
 t/t4013-diff-various.sh                       |  3 ++
 ...ff.diff-tree_--root_-p_--abbrev=10_initial | 29 +++++++++++++++++++
 ...--root_-p_--full-index_--abbrev=10_initial | 29 +++++++++++++++++++
 ...f.diff-tree_--root_-p_--full-index_initial | 29 +++++++++++++++++++
 7 files changed, 100 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 t/t4013/diff.diff-tree_--root_-p_--abbrev=10_initial
 create mode 100644 t/t4013/diff.diff-tree_--root_-p_--full-index_--abbrev=10_initial
 create mode 100644 t/t4013/diff.diff-tree_--root_-p_--full-index_initial

-- 
2.28.0.215.g32ffa52ee0