Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/2] Allow adding .git files and directories

From: Lukas Straub <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 18:43:31 +0200

Hello Everyone,
There have been some requests in the past to allow adding .git files and
directries and nested git repositories as files to a git repository. Usecases
range from including prepared git repos to run tests on to managing arbitrary
files (which may contain git repos) with git/git-annex.

These patches allow this and work well in a quick test. Of course some tests
fail because with this the handling of nested git repos changed. For example
t0008-ignores.sh fails, because in the test repo, the nested git repo is not
added as a submodule and now the files in it aren't ignored.

Now, should the new handling be put behind a configuration variable (allow-dotgit?)
or is the change ok as is and the tests should be fixed?

Regards,
Lukas Straub

Lukas Straub (2):
  dir/read-cache: Allow adding .git files and directories
  dir: Recurse into nested git repos if they aren't submodules

 dir.c        |  9 ++++----
 read-cache.c | 59 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 2 files changed, 39 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)

-- 
2.28.0.217.ge805fe7219