Subject: [PATCH v4 0/2] diff: index-line: respect --abbrev in object's name

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 19:35:33 +0700

On 2020-08-19 21:56:33-0700, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Đoàn Trần Công Danh  <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Anyone is welcome to have my sign-off if they pick up any part of this
> >> patch.
> >
> > This one seems to work with:
> >
> > 	make -j9 test GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_HASH=sha256
> >
> > If noone step up and write this into a patch in some days,
> > I'll take this as first step in my series.
> 
> So, is there anything happening on this front?

Sorry, I was busy with work-life this week.

--------------8<-----------

For diff-family, Git supports 2 different options for 2 different
purposes, `--full-index' for showing diff-patch object's name in full,
and `--abbrev' to customize the length of object names in diff-raw and
diff-tree header lines, without any options to customise the length of
object names in diff-patch format. When working with diff-patch format,
we only have two options, either full index, or default abbrev length.

Although, that consistent is documented, it doesn't stop users from
trying to use `--abbrev' with the hope of customising diff-patch's
objects' name's abbreviation.

Let's resolve that inconsistency.

brian m. carlson (1):
  t4013: improve diff-post-processor logic

Đoàn Trần Công Danh (1):
  diff: index-line: respect --abbrev in object's name

 Documentation/diff-options.txt                |  9 +--
 diff.c                                        |  5 +-
 t/t4013-diff-various.sh                       | 63 ++++++++++++-------
 ...ff.diff-tree_--root_-p_--abbrev=10_initial | 29 +++++++++
 ...--root_-p_--full-index_--abbrev=10_initial | 29 +++++++++
 ...f.diff-tree_--root_-p_--full-index_initial | 29 +++++++++
 6 files changed, 138 insertions(+), 26 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 t/t4013/diff.diff-tree_--root_-p_--abbrev=10_initial
 create mode 100644 t/t4013/diff.diff-tree_--root_-p_--full-index_--abbrev=10_initial
 create mode 100644 t/t4013/diff.diff-tree_--root_-p_--full-index_initial

Range-diff against v3:
1:  7966f6ca1d < -:  ---------- revision: differentiate if --no-abbrev asked explicitly
-:  ---------- > 1:  a52d0e59ec t4013: improve diff-post-processor logic
2:  1d32e791a4 = 2:  3cec490500 diff: index-line: respect --abbrev in object's name
-- 
2.28.0.143.g760df7782d.dirty