Subject: [PATCH v2 00/13] more miscellaneous Bloom filter improvements, redux

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 14:06:45 -0400

Here's another re-roll of mine and Stolee's series to add a series of
improvements to the Bloom filter machinery, culminating in the
command-line flag '--max-new-filters'.

Much is left the same from [1], with two notable exceptions:

  - I took much of Stolee's feedback from [2], since the suggestions
    were good and we are rerolling, anyway.

  - I dropped the trace2 calls that write JSON from within the
    commit-graph machinery in favor of pure "data" writes, which are
    easier to grep for. This caused some test refactoring and allowed us
    to ultimately drop the 'test_bloom_filters_computed' function.

Hopefully this is it for this series ;). I think that it's in good shape
now, and I couldn't find anything in my own inspection that I wanted to
change. So, if others feel good, too, I think we should focus on
incremental fixes on top of this.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Derrick Stolee (1):
  bloom/diff: properly short-circuit on max_changes

Taylor Blau (12):
  commit-graph: introduce 'get_bloom_filter_settings()'
  t4216: use an '&&'-chain
  commit-graph: pass a 'struct repository *' in more places
  t/helper/test-read-graph.c: prepare repo settings
  commit-graph: respect 'commitGraph.readChangedPaths'
  commit-graph.c: store maximum changed paths
  bloom: split 'get_bloom_filter()' in two
  bloom: use provided 'struct bloom_filter_settings'
  bloom: encode out-of-bounds filters as non-empty
  commit-graph: rename 'split_commit_graph_opts'
  builtin/commit-graph.c: introduce '--max-new-filters=<n>'
  commit-graph: introduce 'commitGraph.maxNewFilters'

 Documentation/config.txt                      |   2 +
 Documentation/config/commitgraph.txt          |   8 +
 Documentation/git-commit-graph.txt            |   6 +
 .../technical/commit-graph-format.txt         |   2 +-
 blame.c                                       |   8 +-
 bloom.c                                       |  59 +++--
 bloom.h                                       |  29 ++-
 builtin/commit-graph.c                        |  63 ++++-
 commit-graph.c                                | 140 +++++++---
 commit-graph.h                                |  17 +-
 diff.h                                        |   2 -
 fuzz-commit-graph.c                           |   5 +-
 line-log.c                                    |   2 +-
 repo-settings.c                               |   3 +
 repository.h                                  |   1 +
 revision.c                                    |   7 +-
 t/helper/test-bloom.c                         |   4 +-
 t/helper/test-read-graph.c                    |   3 +-
 t/t0095-bloom.sh                              |   8 +-
 t/t4216-log-bloom.sh                          | 241 ++++++++++++++++--
 t/t5324-split-commit-graph.sh                 |  13 +
 tree-diff.c                                   |   5 +-
 22 files changed, 505 insertions(+), 123 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/config/commitgraph.txt

--
2.28.0.510.g86fdc5f89a