Subject: [PATCH v2 0/3] clarify and expand description of --signoff & related fixes

From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:25:41 -0700

Jeff wrote last week:
>>> You said "squashing", but I'd suggest keeping it as its own patch on top
>>> of Bradley's.
Junio replied last week:
>> OK, let's do so.
Theodore Ts'o wrote today at 08:53 (PDT):
>>>> I pointed out a missing article ("a") in the line *above* ... It's a
>>>> minor nit, and it's unrelated to his proposed change.
Junio C Hamano replied today at 11:26 (PDT):
> In any case, an updated version that ended up
> being a 3-patch series is now on the table.  I think they are in good
> shape to be merged down.

Herein is (I believe) the three-patch series that Junio references.  The
middle patch didn't exist yet because Ted just pointed out the typo and
didn't have a patch, but I've done the typo fix and credited Ted on that in
the commit.

However, the middle commit ([PATCH v2 2/3]) needs some review.  I ended up
down the rabbit hole of "what is the consistent way in which the Git
documentation refers to Signed-off-by?" and I found many inconsistencies.
I've normalized around a style convention described in that patch's commit
message.

Meanwhile, I also note that SubmittingPatches now calls these "trailers"
rather than "lines", so maybe we should be using the word "trailer" rather
than "line" consistently in the other documentation?  If folks think that
should be done, I can redo this patchset to go that route.

Alternatively, if anyone has any strong opinions on the normalization to:
  (a|the) `Signed-off-by:` line
in documentation formatting when referring to Signed-off-by, please say so.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help on this!

I also added these, as Jeff King wrote about at 17:46 (PDT) on Thursday:
>>> To be clear, it's...
>>>  Signed-off-by: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
>>> as far as any words I contributed.

Added.

>>> I probably would've kept "clarify" in the title as lowercase.

Fixed.

>>>>> diff --git a/Documentation/merge-options.txt b/Documentation/merge-options.txt
>>>>> index 80d4831662..c9df9cc0f4 100644
>>>>> --- a/Documentation/merge-options.txt
>>>>> +++ b/Documentation/merge-options.txt
>>>>> [...]
>>>>> +	leadership of the project to which you're contributing to understand
>>>>> +	 how the signoffs are used in that project.

>>> Extra leading space on this final line.

Also fixed.

Bradley M. Kuhn (2):
  Documentation: clarify and expand description of --signoff
  Documentation: stylistically normalize references to Signed-off-by:

Junio C Hamano (1):
  SubmittingPatches: clarify DCO is our --signoff rule

 Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt |  2 +-
 Documentation/SubmittingPatches       | 35 +++++++++++++++------------
 Documentation/git-cherry-pick.txt     |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-commit.txt          | 15 +++++++-----
 Documentation/git-format-patch.txt    |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-rebase.txt          |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-revert.txt          |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-send-email.txt      |  4 +--
 Documentation/githooks.txt            |  2 +-
 Documentation/merge-options.txt       | 17 +++++++------
 builtin/am.c                          |  2 +-
 builtin/commit.c                      |  2 +-
 builtin/log.c                         |  2 +-
 builtin/merge.c                       |  2 +-
 builtin/pull.c                        |  2 +-
 builtin/revert.c                      |  2 +-
 16 files changed, 52 insertions(+), 43 deletions(-)

-- 
Bradley M. Kuhn - he/him
Policy Fellow & Hacker-in-Residence at Software Freedom Conservancy
========================================================================
Become a Conservancy Supporter today: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter