Subject: [PATCH v3 0/4] clarify meaning of --signoff & related doc improvements in describing Signed-off-by

From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 18:03:51 -0700

[ Note that there were competing v2's of this patch series, one from me and
  one from Junio.  Sorry about that; I had missed Junio's from Sunday. ]

I believe this patch series now addresses all the issues raised in the
discussion.

  * [1/4] is unchanged from Junio's v2 and is the preparatory cleanup.

  * [2/4] remains unchanged textually since I originally posted it and Pfeff
    signed off.

  * [3/4] is unchanged from Junio's v2 and is his clarification for what
     Git's --signoff means.
     
  * [4/4] is a rework of a patch from *my* v2.  It takes into account Junio's
    comments about preferring the word "trailer" and leaving off the ':'
    whenever possible when discussing Signed-off-by.

For reference:

        v1: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
Junio's v2: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
     my v2: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Bradley M. Kuhn (2):
  Documentation: clarify and expand description of --signoff
  Documentation: stylistically normalize references to Signed-off-by:

Junio C Hamano (2):
  doc: preparatory clean-up of description on the sign-off option
  SubmittingPatches: clarify DCO is our --signoff rule

 Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt |  2 +-
 Documentation/SubmittingPatches       | 35 +++++++++++++++------------
 Documentation/config/format.txt       |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-am.txt              |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-cherry-pick.txt     |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-commit.txt          | 10 ++------
 Documentation/git-format-patch.txt    |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-rebase.txt          |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-revert.txt          |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-send-email.txt      |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-svn.txt             |  4 +--
 Documentation/githooks.txt            |  2 +-
 Documentation/merge-options.txt       | 11 +--------
 Documentation/signoff-option.txt      | 18 ++++++++++++++
 builtin/am.c                          |  2 +-
 builtin/commit.c                      |  2 +-
 builtin/log.c                         |  2 +-
 builtin/merge.c                       |  2 +-
 builtin/pull.c                        |  2 +-
 builtin/rebase.c                      |  2 +-
 builtin/revert.c                      |  2 +-
 commit.c                              |  2 +-
 22 files changed, 60 insertions(+), 54 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/signoff-option.txt

-- 
Bradley M. Kuhn - he/him
Policy Fellow & Hacker-in-Residence at Software Freedom Conservancy
========================================================================
Become a Conservancy Supporter today: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter