Subject: [PATCH 0/3] More add_submodule_odb() cleanup in merge code

From: Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 11:18:12 -0700

(CC-ing Elijah in case he has insight into the merge-ort part.)

While continuing the effort into removing add_submodule_odb() (as part
of the submodule partial clone effort) I came across this part of the
merge code that specifies the repository being operated on in two ways:
one as a struct repository pointer and the other as a path. This patch
set unifies the two.

I normally would not send refactoring patches unless I also have a
feature patch that uses the results of said refactoring, but in this
case, I think that these patches are worth having since they clarify a
potentially unclear part of the API.

Note that these patches mean that the merging code no longer supports
submodules that have their .git dirs in the worktree, but from what I
can tell, this seems to be the direction we're going in
(repo_submodule_init() does not support such submodules).

Patch 3 is included to show how I'm verifying some things. Including
something like that in the master branch would probably require
conditional compilation (to exclude the additional field in struct
object used for checking, among other things), so I'm just including it
here for informational purposes.

All these patches work under GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM=recursive and
GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM=ort (and when that envvar is unset, for good
measure).

Jonathan Tan (3):
  t6437: run absorbgitdirs on repos
  revision: remove "submodule" from opt struct
  DO NOT SUBMIT commit-reach,revision: verify non-mixing

 alloc.c                    |  2 +
 commit-reach.c             | 60 +++++++++++++++++-------
 merge-ort.c                | 55 +++++++++++++++-------
 merge-recursive.c          | 51 +++++++++++++-------
 object.h                   |  1 +
 revision.c                 | 96 ++++++++++++++++++++++----------------
 revision.h                 |  1 -
 t/t6437-submodule-merge.sh |  9 ++--
 8 files changed, 179 insertions(+), 96 deletions(-)

-- 
2.33.0.309.g3052b89438-goog