Subject: [PATCH v2 0/3] refs: sync loose refs to disk before committing them

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:40:50 +0100

Hi,

[This is a resend, I initially used the wrong mailing list address.]

this is the second version of this patch series to implement syncing of
loose refs to avoid a class of ref corruption.

This series is implements the same batching as Neeraj's series [1]. It
introduces a new config switch "core.fsyncRefFiles" with the same three
toggles "on", "off" and "batch". Given that it reuses funcitonality
provided by the batched object flushing this series is based on "next".

Please note that I didn't yet add any performance numbers or tests.
Performance tests didn't show any conclusive results on my machine given
that I couldn't observe any noticeable impact at all, and I didn't write
tests yet given that I first wanted to get some feedback on this series.
If we agree that this is the correct way to go forward I'll of course
put in some more time to add them.

Patrick

[1]: <[email-masked]>

Patrick Steinhardt (3):
  wrapper: handle EINTR in `git_fsync()`
  wrapper: provide function to sync directories
  refs: add configuration to enable flushing of refs

 Documentation/config/core.txt |  7 ++++
 bulk-checkin.c                | 13 ++------
 cache.h                       |  7 ++++
 config.c                      | 10 ++++++
 environment.c                 |  1 +
 git-compat-util.h             |  7 ++++
 refs/files-backend.c          | 62 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 wrapper.c                     | 30 ++++++++++++++++-
 write-or-die.c                |  6 ++--
 9 files changed, 127 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)

-- 
2.33.1