Subject: [PATCH v2 0/6] refs: excessive hook execution with packed refs

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:55:09 +0100

Hi,

this is a resend of version 1 of this patch series to hopefully entice
some reviews. The only change is that v2 is rebased onto the current
main branch at commit e83ba647f7 (The seventh batch, 2022-01-05). The
following was from the orignial cover letter:

As reported by Waleed in [1], the reference-transaction hook is being
executed when packing refs. Given that the hook ideally ought to track
logical updates to refs instead of leaking low-level implementation
details of how the files backend works, this is understandably leading
to some confusion.

This patch series aims to fix that by improving how the tandom of loose
and packed refs backends interact such that we skip executing the hook
when the loose backend:

    - repacks references.
    - needs to delete packed refs when deleting a loose ref would
      uncover that packed ref.

Patrick

[1]: <[email-masked]>

Patrick Steinhardt (6):
  refs: open-code deletion of packed refs
  refs: allow passing flags when beginning transactions
  refs: allow skipping the reference-transaction hook
  refs: demonstrate excessive execution of the reference-transaction
    hook
  refs: do not execute reference-transaction hook on packing refs
  refs: skip hooks when deleting uncovered packed refs

 refs.c                           | 11 +++++--
 refs.h                           |  8 ++++-
 refs/files-backend.c             | 25 +++++++++++-----
 refs/packed-backend.c            | 30 ++++++++++++++-----
 refs/packed-backend.h            |  6 ++++
 refs/refs-internal.h             |  1 +
 sequencer.c                      |  2 +-
 t/t1416-ref-transaction-hooks.sh | 50 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 8 files changed, 113 insertions(+), 20 deletions(-)

-- 
2.34.1