Subject: [PATCH v3 0/2] bisect: status improvements when bisect is not fully fleshed out

From: Chris Down <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 19:00:04 +0100

When bisecting, we currently don't output anything before bisection
starts in earnest, which can result in some confusion. For example, in
the case illustrated in the first commit in this patch series, it's
trivial to accidentally misspell a tag or branch and accidentally end up
in an unintended state with no clear indication about what happened.

This patch series makes it so that we give information about bisect
state even before the bisect is ready to begin. We also store these
changes in state to the bisect log.

v2:

- Move to improve bisect output overall, instead of just warning for the
  specific unintended pathspec case.

v3:

- Fix test indentation
- Rename bs to state
- Use `unsigned int' for nr_{good,bad}
- Pass the bisect state struct as an argument into bisect_print_status
- Zero-initialise bisect_state directly, don't use memset()
- Fix multiline comment style in bisect.h
- Use strbuf in bisect_log_printf
- Change `git bisect log' use an output file in tests instead of piping

Chris Down (2):
  bisect: output state before we are ready to compute bisection
  bisect: output bisect setup status in bisect log

 bisect.h                    |  9 +++++
 builtin/bisect--helper.c    | 69 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 t/t6030-bisect-porcelain.sh | 28 +++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 93 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

-- 
2.36.0