Subject: [PATCH 0/2] builtin/show-ref.c: support `--count` for limiting output

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 17:56:01 -0400

This short patch series adds support for a new `--count` argument for limiting
the output of `show-ref` (à-la the `for-each-ref` option by the same name).

This is useful in contexts where a caller wants to avoid enumerating more
references than necessary (e.g., they only care whether a tag exists, but not
how many or what they are called) but doesn't have control of the output stream
(e.g., they are in Ruby and can't pipe the output to `head -n 1`).

The first patch is preparatory, and the second patch implements the new option.
This series doesn't conflict with my recent [1], and can be applied
independently.

Thanks in advance for your review!

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Taylor Blau (2):
  builtin/show-ref.c: rename `found_match` to `matches_nr`
  builtin/show-ref.c: limit output with `--count`

 Documentation/git-show-ref.txt |  7 ++++++-
 builtin/show-ref.c             | 29 +++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 t/t1403-show-ref.sh            | 21 +++++++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 52 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

-- 
2.36.1.94.gb0d54bedca