Subject: [PATCH v2 00/11] reftable: small set of fixes

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 15:52:53 +0100

Hi,

this is the second version of my patch series that addresses several
smallish issues in the reftable backend. Given that the first version
didn't receive any reviews yet I decided to squash in additional
findings into this series. This is both to reduce the number of follow
up series, but also to hopefully push this topic onto the radar of folks
on the mailing list.

Changes compared to v1:

  - Allocations were optimized further for `struct merged_iter` by
    making the buffers part of the structure itself so that they can
    be reused across iterations.

  - Allocations were optimized for `struct block_iter` in the same
    way.

  - Temporary stacks have a supposedly-random suffix so that concurrent
    writers don't conflict with each other. We used unseeded `rand()`
    calls for it though, so they weren't random after all. This is fixed
    by converting to use `git_rand()` instead.

Patrick

Patrick Steinhardt (11):
  reftable: wrap EXPECT macros in do/while
  reftable: handle interrupted reads
  reftable: handle interrupted writes
  reftable/stack: verify that `reftable_stack_add()` uses
    auto-compaction
  reftable/stack: perform auto-compaction with transactional interface
  reftable/stack: reuse buffers when reloading stack
  reftable/stack: fix stale lock when dying
  reftable/stack: fix use of unseeded randomness
  reftable/merged: reuse buffer to compute record keys
  reftable/block: introduce macro to initialize `struct block_iter`
  reftable/block: reuse buffer to compute record keys

 reftable/block.c          |  23 ++++-----
 reftable/block.h          |   6 +++
 reftable/block_test.c     |   4 +-
 reftable/blocksource.c    |   2 +-
 reftable/iter.h           |   8 +--
 reftable/merged.c         |  31 +++++------
 reftable/merged.h         |   2 +
 reftable/reader.c         |   7 ++-
 reftable/readwrite_test.c |   6 +--
 reftable/stack.c          |  73 +++++++++++---------------
 reftable/stack_test.c     | 105 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 reftable/test_framework.h |  58 +++++++++++----------
 12 files changed, 211 insertions(+), 114 deletions(-)

-- 
2.43.0