Subject: [PATCH 0/5] New config option for git-grep to include untracked files

From: Dragan Simic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 18:03:20 +0100

This patch series introduces new config option grep.includeUntracked,
which makes the untracked files also searched by default when git-grep(1)
is invoked, in addition to searching the tracked files.  This is quite
handy when someone expects git-grep(1) to mimic grep(1) even better, when
it comes to the selection of searched files.

Setting grep.includeUntracked to true in one's git configuration should
have no ill effects to various scripts, which presumably shouldn't rely
on expensive operations such as git-grep(1).

This series also performs some related cleanups and small improvements,
which are extracted into separate patches.

Dragan Simic (5):
  grep: perform some minor code and comment cleanups
  grep docs: describe --recurse-submodules further and improve
    formatting a bit
  grep docs: describe --no-index further
  grep: introduce new config option to include untracked files
  grep docs: describe new config option to include untracked files

 Documentation/config/grep.txt |  8 +++++++-
 Documentation/git-grep.txt    | 19 +++++++++++--------
 builtin/grep.c                | 24 +++++++++++-------------
 t/t7810-grep.sh               |  9 +++++++++
 4 files changed, 38 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)