Subject: [PATCH v4 0/7] test-tool: add unit test suite runner

From: Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 12:14:06 -0700

For various reasons (see discussion at [1]) we would like an alternative
to `prove` for running test suites (including the unit tests) on
Windows.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

This series extends the existing `test-tool run-command testsuite` to
support running unit tests. In addition, it includes some small
cleanups:
* move t-basic out of the unit-tests directory
* don't hardcode the shell for running tests in `test-tool ... testsuite`
* don't hardcode a test name filter in `test-tool ... testsuite`
* add a test wrapper script to allow unit tests and the shell test suite
  to run in a single `prove` process

Changes in V4:
* Set TEST_SHELL_PATH when running the `prove` test target, and error
  out of run-test.sh if TEST_SHELL_PATH is not set.

Changes in V3:
* Added new patch (#7) to use the new test-tool runner for unit tests in
  Windows CI.
* Restored the explicit sort call in t/Makefile, for backwards
  compatibility with older GNU Make versions.
* Rebased the series on the latest jk/unit-tests-buildfix branch.
* Fixed header include order in patch #1.
* Removed a paragraph in patch #1's commit message that is obsolete now
  that we're building the list of test files from the sources rather
  than by globbing.
* Added a note in patch #2 that setting a NULL suite.shell_path will be
  used in a later commit.
* Clarified up some sloppy wording in commit messages and comments in
  t/helper/test-run-command.c.

Changes in V2:
* Rebased the series on the latest jk/unit-tests-buildfix branch.
* Patch 1: move t-basic to a test-tool subcommand rather than a new
  executable under t/t0080/
* New patch 2: get the shell path from TEST_SHELL_PATH in
  `test-tool run-command testsuite`
* New patch 3: remove the hardcoded filename filter in
  `test-tool run-command testsuite`
* Patch 4 (previously 2): simplified now that we no longer need to add
  any command-line flags to support unit tests
* Patch 5 (previously 3): avoid trying to run cmake *.pdb files by using
  the unit test list built in the makefile in jk/unit-tests-buildfix.

Jeff King (1):
  t/Makefile: run unit tests alongside shell tests

Josh Steadmon (6):
  t0080: turn t-basic unit test into a helper
  test-tool run-command testsuite: get shell from env
  test-tool run-command testsuite: remove hardcoded filter
  test-tool run-command testsuite: support unit tests
  unit tests: add rule for running with test-tool
  ci: use test-tool as unit test runner on Windows

 Makefile                                      |  6 ++--
 ci/run-build-and-tests.sh                     |  2 --
 ci/run-test-slice.sh                          |  2 +-
 t/Makefile                                    | 14 ++++++++--
 .../t-basic.c => helper/test-example-tap.c}   |  5 ++--
 t/helper/test-run-command.c                   | 28 +++++++++++++++----
 t/helper/test-tool.c                          |  1 +
 t/helper/test-tool.h                          |  1 +
 t/run-test.sh                                 | 17 +++++++++++
 t/t0080-unit-test-output.sh                   | 24 ++++++++--------
 10 files changed, 71 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)
 rename t/{unit-tests/t-basic.c => helper/test-example-tap.c} (95%)
 create mode 100755 t/run-test.sh

Range-diff against v3:
1:  6777451100 = 1:  6777451100 t0080: turn t-basic unit test into a helper
2:  24f47f8fc7 = 2:  24f47f8fc7 test-tool run-command testsuite: get shell from env
3:  4a16a3ec24 = 3:  4a16a3ec24 test-tool run-command testsuite: remove hardcoded filter
4:  abc9a7afe8 = 4:  abc9a7afe8 test-tool run-command testsuite: support unit tests
5:  a8bbff2c6b = 5:  a8bbff2c6b unit tests: add rule for running with test-tool
6:  cfcc4bd427 ! 6:  0e32de1afe t/Makefile: run unit tests alongside shell tests
    @@ t/Makefile: failed:

      prove: pre-clean check-chainlint $(TEST_LINT)
     -  @echo "*** prove ***"; $(CHAINLINTSUPPRESS) $(PROVE) --exec '$(TEST_SHELL_PATH_SQ)' $(GIT_PROVE_OPTS) $(T) :: $(GIT_TEST_OPTS)
    -+  @echo "*** prove (shell & unit tests) ***"; $(CHAINLINTSUPPRESS) $(PROVE) --exec ./run-test.sh $(GIT_PROVE_OPTS) $(T) $(UNIT_TESTS) :: $(GIT_TEST_OPTS)
    ++  @echo "*** prove (shell & unit tests) ***"; $(CHAINLINTSUPPRESS) TEST_SHELL_PATH='$(TEST_SHELL_PATH_SQ)' $(PROVE) --exec ./run-test.sh $(GIT_PROVE_OPTS) $(T) $(UNIT_TESTS) :: $(GIT_TEST_OPTS)
        $(MAKE) clean-except-prove-cache

      $(T):
    @@ t/run-test.sh (new)
     +
     +case "$1" in
     +*.sh)
    -+  exec ${TEST_SHELL_PATH:-/bin/sh} "$@"
    ++  if test -z "${TEST_SHELL_PATH+set}" ; then
    ++          echo "ERROR: TEST_SHELL_PATH is not set" >&2
    ++          exit 1
    ++  fi
    ++  exec ${TEST_SHELL_PATH} "$@"
     +  ;;
     +*)
     +  exec "$@"
7:  cbf37e0ddc = 7:  c562515293 ci: use test-tool as unit test runner on Windows

base-commit: 4904a4d08cc085716df12ce713ae7ee3d5ecb75a
-- 
2.44.0.769.g3c40516874-goog