Subject: [PATCH v4 0/4] docs: document upcoming breaking changes

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 09:56:27 +0200

Hi,

this is the fourth version of my patch series that documents upcoming
breaking changes.

I have restructured this series now, booting out most of the proposed
deprecations. This is not because I think that those deprecations
shouldn't be done, but merely to bring this series into a format that
can be merged.

The first patch introduces the document in a skeletal form. The next
three patches then introduce one item each to the three sections that we
have in this document. The intent of this is to start out with examples
of how this should look like. I have tried to pick topics which may be
the least controversial ones for each of those sections while still
being interesting enough to demonstrate the proposed format. Let's see
whether I succeeded with that goal :)

As said, I do not have the intent to shut down any of the other proposed
deprecations. When this document lands, I'd encourage folks to propose
their deprecations in standalone threads, ideally together with a patch
to "BreakingChanges.md".

You may have noticed that I dropped the "Upcoming" prefix from
"UpcomingBreakingChanges.md". This is supposed to reflect the fact that
we also have a section that point out features that we are _not_
deprecating. Those aren't upcoming, so I thought a rename makes sense.

Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick Steinhardt (4):
  docs: introduce document to announce breaking changes
  BreakingChanges: document upcoming change from "sha1" to "sha256"
  BreakingChanges: document removal of grafting
  BreakingChanges: document that we do not plan to deprecate
    git-checkout

 Documentation/BreakingChanges.md | 113 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 113 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/BreakingChanges.md

base-commit: 3e4a232f6e3bd3b7dd920bb07b21cf1c8b4e1a7f
-- 
2.45.1.410.g58bac47f8e.dirty