Subject: [PATCH 00/29] Memory leak fixes (pt.2)

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2024 11:46:23 +0200

Hi,

this is another random assortment of memory leak fixes for Git. With
these changes, another 77 test suites start to pass with the leak
sanitizer enabled. With that, we're down to ~270 test suites that do not
yet pass with the sanitizer enabled. My goal is that we can reduce this
number to 0 this year -- any help here would be appreciated.

While most of the commits are trivial, I realize that the overall series
is quite large. If you think that this is too big, please feel free to
speak up up and I'll split this and future series into batches of at
most 20 patches or less, if you think that's still too many.

The series is built on top of 9eaef5822c (Sync with 'maint', 2024-05-31)
with ps/leakfixes at 164937678c (Merge remote-tracking branch
'junio/ps/leakfixes' into HEAD, 2024-06-03) merged into it.

Thanks!

Patrick Steinhardt (29):
  revision: fix memory leak when reversing revisions
  parse-options: fix leaks for users of OPT_FILENAME
  notes-utils: free note trees when releasing copied notes
  bundle: plug leaks in `create_bundle()`
  biultin/rev-parse: fix memory leaks in `--parseopt` mode
  merge-recursive: fix leaging rename conflict info
  revision: fix leaking display notes
  notes: fix memory leak when pruning notes
  builtin/rev-list: fix leaking bitmap index when calculating disk usage
  object-name: free leaking object contexts
  builtin/difftool: plug memory leaks in `run_dir_diff()`
  builtin/merge-recursive: fix leaking object ID bases
  merge-recursive: fix memory leak when finalizing merge
  builtin/log: fix leaking commit list in git-cherry(1)
  revision: free diff options
  builtin/stash: fix leak in `show_stash()`
  rerere: fix various trivial leaks
  config: fix leaking "core.notesref" variable
  commit: fix leaking parents when calling `commit_tree_extended()`
  sequencer: fix leaking string buffer in `commit_staged_changes()`
  apply: fix leaking string in `match_fragment()`
  builtin/clone: plug leaking HEAD ref in `wanted_peer_refs()`
  sequencer: fix memory leaks in `make_script_with_merges()`
  builtin/merge: fix leaking `struct cmdnames` in `get_strategy()`
  merge: fix leaking merge bases
  line-range: plug leaking find functions
  blame: fix leaking data for blame scoreboards
  builtin/blame: fix leaking prefixed paths
  builtin/blame: fix leaking ignore revs files

 apply.c                                   |  88 ++++++++++-------
 apply.h                                   |   2 +-
 blame.c                                   |   4 +
 builtin/am.c                              |   7 +-
 builtin/archive.c                         |   7 +-
 builtin/blame.c                           |   8 +-
 builtin/cat-file.c                        |  17 ++--
 builtin/clone.c                           |   3 +-
 builtin/commit-tree.c                     |  11 ++-
 builtin/commit.c                          |  10 +-
 builtin/difftool.c                        |   3 +
 builtin/fmt-merge-msg.c                   |   4 +-
 builtin/grep.c                            |   4 +-
 builtin/log.c                             |  16 ++--
 builtin/ls-tree.c                         |   3 +-
 builtin/merge-recursive.c                 |   6 +-
 builtin/merge-tree.c                      |   1 +
 builtin/merge.c                           |  18 +++-
 builtin/multi-pack-index.c                |  13 ++-
 builtin/replay.c                          |  14 ++-
 builtin/rev-list.c                        |   2 +
 builtin/rev-parse.c                       |  55 ++++++-----
 builtin/shortlog.c                        |   5 +-
 builtin/sparse-checkout.c                 |   1 +
 builtin/stash.c                           |  23 +++--
 bundle.c                                  |  29 ++++--
 commit.c                                  |  28 +++---
 commit.h                                  |  12 +--
 config.c                                  |   1 +
 diff-lib.c                                |   2 +
 diff.c                                    |   8 +-
 help.c                                    |  12 +--
 help.h                                    |   2 +
 line-range.c                              |   2 +
 list-objects-filter.c                     |   2 +
 log-tree.c                                |   1 +
 merge-ort-wrappers.c                      |   2 +-
 merge-ort-wrappers.h                      |   2 +-
 merge-ort.c                               |  12 ++-
 merge-ort.h                               |   2 +-
 merge-recursive.c                         |  68 ++++++++-----
 merge-recursive.h                         |   4 +-
 notes-merge.c                             |   1 +
 notes-utils.c                             |   9 +-
 notes-utils.h                             |   2 +-
 notes.c                                   |  21 +++--
 notes.h                                   |   5 +
 object-name.c                             |  40 +++++---
 object-name.h                             |   2 +
 rerere.c                                  |   3 +
 revision.c                                |  59 +++++++-----
 sequencer.c                               | 110 +++++++++++++++-------
 t/helper/test-parse-options.c             |   1 +
 t/t1004-read-tree-m-u-wf.sh               |   1 +
 t/t1015-read-index-unmerged.sh            |   2 +
 t/t1021-rerere-in-workdir.sh              |   1 +
 t/t1512-rev-parse-disambiguation.sh       |   1 +
 t/t2500-untracked-overwriting.sh          |   1 +
 t/t3301-notes.sh                          |   1 +
 t/t3306-notes-prune.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t3308-notes-merge.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t3309-notes-merge-auto-resolve.sh       |   1 +
 t/t3400-rebase.sh                         |   1 +
 t/t3401-rebase-and-am-rename.sh           |   1 +
 t/t3403-rebase-skip.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t3406-rebase-message.sh                 |   1 +
 t/t3407-rebase-abort.sh                   |   1 +
 t/t3417-rebase-whitespace-fix.sh          |   1 +
 t/t3418-rebase-continue.sh                |   1 +
 t/t3420-rebase-autostash.sh               |   1 +
 t/t3421-rebase-topology-linear.sh         |   2 +
 t/t3424-rebase-empty.sh                   |   1 +
 t/t3428-rebase-signoff.sh                 |   1 +
 t/t3430-rebase-merges.sh                  |   1 +
 t/t3434-rebase-i18n.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t3500-cherry.sh                         |   1 +
 t/t3504-cherry-pick-rerere.sh             |   1 +
 t/t3505-cherry-pick-empty.sh              |   1 +
 t/t3508-cherry-pick-many-commits.sh       |   1 +
 t/t3509-cherry-pick-merge-df.sh           |   1 +
 t/t3907-stash-show-config.sh              |   1 +
 t/t4061-diff-indent.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t4131-apply-fake-ancestor.sh            |   1 +
 t/t4151-am-abort.sh                       |   1 +
 t/t4153-am-resume-override-opts.sh        |   1 +
 t/t4208-log-magic-pathspec.sh             |   1 +
 t/t4253-am-keep-cr-dos.sh                 |   1 +
 t/t4255-am-submodule.sh                   |   1 +
 t/t5150-request-pull.sh                   |   1 +
 t/t5300-pack-object.sh                    |   4 +-
 t/t5305-include-tag.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t5407-post-rewrite-hook.sh              |   1 +
 t/t5605-clone-local.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t5607-clone-bundle.sh                   |   1 +
 t/t5612-clone-refspec.sh                  |   1 +
 t/t6000-rev-list-misc.sh                  |   1 +
 t/t6001-rev-list-graft.sh                 |   1 +
 t/t6013-rev-list-reverse-parents.sh       |   1 +
 t/t6017-rev-list-stdin.sh                 |   1 +
 t/t6020-bundle-misc.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t6115-rev-list-du.sh                    |   2 +
 t/t6130-pathspec-noglob.sh                |   2 +
 t/t6402-merge-rename.sh                   |   1 +
 t/t6427-diff3-conflict-markers.sh         |   1 +
 t/t6430-merge-recursive.sh                |   1 +
 t/t6432-merge-recursive-space-options.sh  |   1 +
 t/t6434-merge-recursive-rename-options.sh |   1 +
 t/t6436-merge-overwrite.sh                |   1 +
 t/t7006-pager.sh                          |   1 +
 t/t7010-setup.sh                          |   1 +
 t/t7012-skip-worktree-writing.sh          |   1 +
 t/t7201-co.sh                             |   1 +
 t/t7501-commit-basic-functionality.sh     |   1 +
 t/t7505-prepare-commit-msg-hook.sh        |   1 +
 t/t7512-status-help.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t7600-merge.sh                          |   1 +
 t/t7606-merge-custom.sh                   |   1 +
 t/t7611-merge-abort.sh                    |   1 +
 t/t8002-blame.sh                          |   1 +
 t/t8003-blame-corner-cases.sh             |   1 +
 t/t8004-blame-with-conflicts.sh           |   1 +
 t/t8006-blame-textconv.sh                 |   2 +
 t/t8008-blame-formats.sh                  |   2 +
 t/t8009-blame-vs-topicbranches.sh         |   2 +
 t/t8011-blame-split-file.sh               |   2 +
 t/t8012-blame-colors.sh                   |   1 +
 t/t8013-blame-ignore-revs.sh              |   2 +
 t/t8014-blame-ignore-fuzzy.sh             |   2 +
 t/t9500-gitweb-standalone-no-errors.sh    |   1 +
 t/t9502-gitweb-standalone-parse-output.sh |   1 +
 130 files changed, 588 insertions(+), 269 deletions(-)

-- 
2.45.1.410.g58bac47f8e.dirty