Subject: [PATCH 0/2] commit-graph/server-info: use tempfile.h in more places

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 18:19:21 -0400

This pair of patches addresses two issues (in the commit-graph and
update-server-info areas, respectively), where temporary files are
created outside of the tempfile.h API and thus survive abnormal process
death.

The commit-graph one is more prevalent, and has been the cause of some
minor headaches (for e.g. automated tooling to detect repository cruft
at GitHub complaining about unknown tmp_graph_XXXXXX files left around).

The fixes in both instances are relatively straightforward conversions
to use the tempfile.h API.

Looking at the remaining uses of mkstemp(), the remaining class of
callers that don't use the tempfile.h API are for creating temporary
.idx, .rev files, and similar. My personal feeling is that we should
apply similar treatment there, since these files are generated based on
.pack data, and thus keeping around temporary copies is unnecessary when
they can be regenerated.

But I'd rather keep that part out of this series and clean up a couple
of more straightforward spots where possible.

Thanks in advance for your review!

Taylor Blau (2):
  commit-graph.c: remove temporary graph layers on exit
  server-info.c: remove temporary info files on exit

 commit-graph.c                | 19 ++++++++-----------
 server-info.c                 | 26 ++++++++++----------------
 t/t5324-split-commit-graph.sh | 26 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 3 files changed, 43 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)

base-commit: 7b0defb3915eaa0bd118f0996e8c00b4eb2dc1ca
-- 
2.45.2.411.g2d5a0536af1