Subject: [PATCH 0/6] doc: update-ref: amend old material and discuss symrefs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2024 21:03:09 +0200

From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>

(See the previous email for the context)

This series removes or moves some old material in the update-ref doc and
improves the discussion of symrefs, opting for a high-level description
with some redundancy (see patch 5/6) in order to avoid a reported
mistake/confusion.

The end goal (after all patches are applied):

• First paragraph (in Description) describes the first form
• Second paragraph the second form
• Third paragraph mentions symrefs and explains why `--stdin` supports
  them
• A new section whither the symlink (FS) vs. symrefs (`ref: ` files… or
  strings nowadays with the different formats that refs can have?)
  discussion is moved
• Link update-ref to symbolic-ref and vice versa

Kristoffer Haugsbakk (6):
  doc: update-ref: drop “flag”
  doc: update-ref: remove safety paragraphs
  doc: update-ref: demote symlink to last section
  doc: update-ref: remove confusing paragraph
  doc: update-ref: discuss symbolic links
  doc: mutually link update-ref and symbolic-ref

 Documentation/git-symbolic-ref.txt |  4 +++
 Documentation/git-update-ref.txt   | 48 +++++++++++++-----------------
 2 files changed, 25 insertions(+), 27 deletions(-)

base-commit: ef8ce8f3d4344fd3af049c17eeba5cd20d98b69f
-- 
2.46.1.641.g54e7913fcb6