Subject: [WIP 0/3] Repack on fetch

From: Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 15:29:42 -0700

I think that ultimately we want something like repack on fetch, so I
made some effort to implement it. There were some details that needed
to be ironed out, but here's a WIP of the repack-on-fetch solution. In
particular, note that we do not need to create the expensive set used by
is_promisor_object().

As you can see from the patches, some polishing still needs to be
done, but I'm sending them out now to check if other people have
opinions about the solution. In particular, Han Young reported that an
alternative solution (repack on GC) takes too long [1], so I would be
interested to see if the time taken by this solution is good enough for
Han Young's use case.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Jonathan Tan (3):
  move variable
  pack-objects
  record local links and call pack-objects

 builtin/index-pack.c     | 116 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 builtin/pack-objects.c   |  31 ++++++++++-
 t/t0410-partial-clone.sh |  11 ++--
 t/t5300-pack-object.sh   |   8 +--
 t/t5616-partial-clone.sh |  30 ++++++++++
 5 files changed, 183 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

-- 
2.47.0.105.g07ac214952-goog