Subject: [PATCH 0/4] refspec: treat 'fetch' as a Boolean value

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 18:24:20 -0400

This series explores treating the 'fetch' field of 'struct refspec' as a
Boolean, instead of taking on values called "REFSPEC_FETCH" and
"REFSPEC_PUSH".

The refactoring takes place in a couple of steps, but IMHO the end
result is pleasing and an improvement in clarity over the existing API.

For reference, in one of the patches above, I had suggested replacing
something like:

    if (refspec->fetch == REFSPEC_FETCH) {
      /* something */
    } else {
      /* something else */
    }

with a switch/case-statement, only to realize that 'refspec->fetch' is
really a Boolean in disguise.

I am not overly attached to these patches one way or the other. I think
they do improve the refspec.h API, but they're also ripe for
bike-shedding. So if we agree that they are good, I'm happy to see them
move forward. But if not, I'd rather not spend the list's time
bike-shedding here, so I'd just as soon drop them.

Thanks in advance for your review!

Taylor Blau (4):
  refspec: treat 'fetch' as a Boolean value
  refspec: replace `refspec_init()` with fetch/push variants
  refspec: remove refspec_item_init_or_die()
  refspec: replace `refspec_item_init()` with fetch/push variants

 builtin/fetch.c    |   2 +-
 builtin/pull.c     |   3 ++-
 git-diff-pairs     | Bin 0 -> 12166200 bytes
 refspec.c          |  38 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 refspec.h          |  18 +++++++-----------
 remote.c           |   4 ++--
 transport-helper.c |   2 +-
 7 files changed, 40 insertions(+), 27 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 git-diff-pairs

base-commit: c702dd48567cfebca3d4a06b691de97da3f8dc4a
-- 
2.49.0.rc2.13.g95783265fd