Subject: [PATCH 0/4] pack-bitmap: enable lookup tables by default, misc. cleanups

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2025 17:12:10 -0400

This is a short series I extracted from a larger topic on reusing
"external"[^1] deltas during verbatim pack reuse.

As part of performance-testing that series, I realized that bitmap
lookup tables are not written by default. Since it has been a
significant period of time since their introduction, the first patch of
this series makes writing the lookup table extension the default
behavior. This is:

  * pack-bitmap: write lookup table extension by default

The next three patches clean up some t/perf scripts that were redundant
now that lookup tables are the default behavior. Those are:

  * p5312: removed duplicate performance test script
  * t/perf: avoid testing bitmaps without lookup table
  * t/perf/lib-bitmap.sh: avoid test_perf during setup

Thanks in advance for your review :-).

[^1]: The term I'm using to describe delta/base pairs which either (a)
are represented from different packs in a MIDX bitmap, or (b) the client
is known to already have the base.

Taylor Blau (4):
  pack-bitmap: write lookup table extension by default
  p5312: removed duplicate performance test script
  t/perf: avoid testing bitmaps without lookup table
  t/perf/lib-bitmap.sh: avoid test_perf during setup

 Documentation/config/pack.adoc       |   2 +-
 builtin/multi-pack-index.c           |   1 +
 builtin/pack-objects.c               |   2 +-
 t/perf/lib-bitmap.sh                 |   2 +-
 t/perf/p5310-pack-bitmaps.sh         |  47 +++++-------
 t/perf/p5311-pack-bitmaps-fetch.sh   |  76 +++++++++----------
 t/perf/p5312-pack-bitmaps-revs.sh    |  34 ---------
 t/perf/p5326-multi-pack-bitmaps.sh   | 107 ++++++++++++---------------
 t/perf/p5333-pseudo-merge-bitmaps.sh |   1 -
 9 files changed, 106 insertions(+), 166 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100755 t/perf/p5312-pack-bitmaps-revs.sh

base-commit: c152ae3ef50dc7bbbf5089571df5bba404a96e0d
-- 
2.49.0.226.g0e6cae136d