Subject: [PATCH 0/2] remote.c: remove erroneous BUG case

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2025 02:42:53 -0700

In the case where one pushes a non-existent oid to an unqualified
destination, we encounter the following BUG

	error: The destination you provided is not a full refname (i.e.,
	starting with "refs/"). We tried to guess what you meant by:

	- Looking for a ref that matches 'branch' on the remote side.
	- Checking if the <src> being pushed ('0000000000000000000000000000000000000001')
	  is a ref in "refs/{heads,tags}/". If so we add a corresponding
	  refs/{heads,tags}/ prefix on the remote side.

	Neither worked, so we gave up. You must fully qualify the ref.
	BUG: remote.c:1221: '0000000000000000000000000000000000000001' should be commit/tag/tree/blob, is '-1'
	fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
	Aborted (core dumped)

However, this isn't actually a bug so replace it with an advise()
message.

Denton Liu (2):
  t5516: introduce 'push ref expression with non-existent oid src'
  remote.c: remove BUG in show_push_unqualified_ref_name_error()

 remote.c              | 5 +++--
 t/t5516-fetch-push.sh | 7 +++++++
 2 files changed, 10 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

-- 
2.50.1