Subject: [PATCH 0/4] you-still-use-that??: improve breaking changes troubleshooting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2025 18:29:45 +0200

From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>

Based on the recent i-still-use-that reports about whatchanged, improve
the error reporting with this command in mind:

1. Give more possible actions instead of just (only) asking them to send
   an email
2. Hint how to replace their git-whatchanged(1) use with git-log(1)
3. Minor documentation changes

I don’t know how much does matters now that 2.51.0 is out.  I guess it
depends on when the next maintenance release is and how many platforms
will upgrade it?  I don’t know anything about that.  (But maybe they
will do it straight away since they are releasing for the latest
version?)

Kristoffer Haugsbakk (4):
  usage: help the user help themselves
  whatchanged: tell users the git-log(1) equivalent
  whatchanged: remove not-even-shorter clause
  BreakingChanges: remove claim about whatchanged reports

 Documentation/BreakingChanges.adoc |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-whatchanged.adoc |  8 ++++++--
 builtin/log.c                      |  8 ++++++--
 builtin/pack-redundant.c           |  2 +-
 git-compat-util.h                  |  2 +-
 usage.c                            | 31 +++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 6 files changed, 39 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)

base-commit: c44beea485f0f2feaf460e2ac87fdd5608d63cf0
-- 
2.51.0.11.g23cedd8a747