Subject: [PATCH 0/2] SubmittingPatches: guidance for topic names and multi-series efforts

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2025 17:39:34 -0400

A note to the maintainer, I suggest queueing this as:

 * tb/submitting-patches

   Extend the experimental protocol used by contributors to propose a
   topic branch name in addition to a description, and describe how to
   name multi-series efforts.

---

In [1], Junio suggested a few points to stress in our SubmittingPatches
documentation, which are:

 - Mentioning what topics not in 'master' your patches depend on.
 - Suggesting one-line summaries for topics to be used as a topic
   branch name.
 - Describing your topic in the context of a multi-series effort.

The first is already covered by 0a02ca2383 (SubmittingPatches:
simplify guidance for choosing a starting point, 2023-07-14), but the
latter two are not.

The two patches part of this series address the latter two
suggestions.

(As an aside, we should consider whether or not the experiment started
in d255105c99 (SubmittingPatches: release-notes entry experiment,
2024-03-25) can yet be declared a success, and if so, graduate it.)

Thanks in advance for your review!

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Taylor Blau (2):
  SubmittingPatches: extend release-notes experiment to topic names
  SubmittingPatches: guidance for multi-series efforts

 Documentation/SubmittingPatches | 29 +++++++++++++++++++++--------
 1 file changed, 21 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

base-commit: 45547b60aca32b45d2f1ef93462cf9df28637c13
-- 
2.51.0.435.gf7a65e208c7