Subject: [PATCH v3 0/4] format-patch: add cover-letter-format option

From: Mirko Faina <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2026 02:52:35 +0100

As Jeff requested I added two new placeholders to make the numbering
part customizable as well. The width of %(count) will always be the same
width of %(total).

I've also moved the code for generating the shortlog format into its own
function.

There are now tests for both patch 3 and 4. Unfortunately I couldn't add
tests for patch 1 as the variables that are coupled with %(count) and
%(total) are not used for any command that accepts "--format" or
"--pretty".

I've also went over the code and fixed the parts that you marked as
problematic (hopefully I haven't missed anything).

Thank you both for the reviews.

[1/4] pretty.c: add %(count) and %(total) placeholders (Mirko Faina)
[2/4] format-patch: move cover letter summary generation (Mirko Faina)
[3/4] format-patch: add ability to use alt cover format (Mirko Faina)
[4/4] format-patch: add commitListFormat config (Mirko Faina)

 builtin/log.c           |  94 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------
 pretty.c                |  15 ++++++
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh | 101 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t9902-completion.sh   |   1 +
 4 files changed, 197 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)

-- 
2.53.0.4.g55f3102ead