Subject: [PATCH 0/7] improve "git format-patch --commit-list-format"

From: Mirko Faina <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2026 00:20:43 +0100

This series aims to improve the --commit-list-format (former
--cover-letter-format) option for format-patch by improving a bit the
user interaction with the option (and its configuration variable
counterpart), removing the ability to use the configuration variable in
an ambiguous way (which also causes problems when interacting with it
through the cli interface) and introducing a new format preset.

This series is based on top of 67006b9db8 (The 15th batch, 2026-03-12)
with the following series merged into it:
  - mf/format-patch-cover-letter-format at 51ed9f7e72 (docs: add usage
	for the cover-letter fmt feature, 2026-03-07)

[1/7] pretty.c: better die message %(count) and %(total) (Mirko Faina)
[2/7] format-patch: refactor generate_commit_list_cover (Mirko Faina)
[3/7] format-patch: rename --cover-letter-format option (Mirko Faina)
[4/7] format.commitListFormat: strip meaning from empty (Mirko Faina)
[5/7] format-patch: wrap generate_commit_list_cover() (Mirko Faina)
[6/7] format-patch: add preset for --commit-list-format (Mirko Faina)
[7/7] format-patch: --commit-list-format without prefix (Mirko Faina)

 Documentation/config/format.adoc    |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-format-patch.adoc | 19 ++++----
 builtin/log.c                       | 35 +++++++-------
 pretty.c                            |  4 +-
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh             | 72 +++++++++++++++++++----------
 t/t9902-completion.sh               |  1 -
 6 files changed, 80 insertions(+), 53 deletions(-)

-- 
2.53.0.959.g497ff81fa9