Subject: [PATCH v2 0/8] improve "git format-patch --commit-list-format"

From: Mirko Faina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2026 23:38:10 +0100

I've applied the suggestions that Kristoffer made and added an
additional patch that documents %(count) and %(total), but I'm not sure
if I've placed them in the right location. It's in the "Placeholders
that expand to information extracted from the commit" section despite
not being the most accurate, but making a new section just for
"Placeholders that expand to information from patch series" didn't seem
right.

This series is based on top of 67006b9db8 (The 15th batch, 2026-03-12)
with the following series merged into it:
  - mf/format-patch-cover-letter-format at 51ed9f7e72 (docs: add usage
	for the cover-letter fmt feature, 2026-03-07)

[1/8] pretty.c: better die message %(count) and %(total) (Mirko Faina)
[2/8] format-patch: refactor generate_commit_list_cover (Mirko Faina)
[3/8] format-patch: rename --cover-letter-format option (Mirko Faina)
[4/8] docs/pretty-formats: add %(count) and %(total) (Mirko Faina)
[5/8] format.commitListFormat: strip meaning from empty (Mirko Faina)
[6/8] format-patch: wrap generate_commit_list_cover() (Mirko Faina)
[7/8] format-patch: add preset for --commit-list-format (Mirko Faina)
[8/8] format-patch: --commit-list-format without prefix (Mirko Faina)

 Documentation/config/format.adoc    |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-format-patch.adoc | 19 ++++----
 Documentation/pretty-formats.adoc   |  4 ++
 builtin/log.c                       | 35 +++++++-------
 pretty.c                            |  4 +-
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh             | 72 +++++++++++++++++++----------
 t/t9902-completion.sh               |  1 -
 7 files changed, 84 insertions(+), 53 deletions(-)

-- 
2.53.0.1018.g2bb0e51243