Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 07/11] log: add default decoration filter

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 12:40:37 -0400

On 9/9/2022 12:19 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> But during bisection, there is a specific command to give them
> exactly that information: "bisect visualize".  It is roughly
> equilvalent to:
> 
>     git log refs/bisect/bad \
> 	$(git for-each-ref --format='^%(refname)' refs/bisect/good-\*
> 
> i.e. show the history surrounded by all the known-to-be-good commits
> and the known-to-be-bad commit we currently are chasing.  Bad and good
> commits are at the boundary you can tell them without decoration.

Thank you for recommending this as the expected behavior.
 
> But if we still want to see bisect/bad and bisect/good-* in a larger
> graph (i.e. showing descendants of bad and ancestors of good), then
> I do not think good-<object name> being a long label is something we
> should special case and shorten.  Especially because the user is not
> using "bisect visualize", which is readable without decoration, they
> may be seeking more information in the names, perhaps cutting and
> pasting the object names to feed "git show" running on a separate
> terminal, or something.

The object names should be visible as part of the "git log" output
(perhaps abbreviated) and that provides a way to get that information
without needing an unabbreviated hash showing up in a decoration slot.

Thanks,
-Stolee