Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 7/9] BreakingChanges: announce Rust becoming mandatory

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2025 16:29:07 +0100

Hi Patrick

On 23/09/2025 10:45, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> ++
> +The Git project will declare the last version before Git 3.0 to be a long-term
> +support release. This long-term release will receive important bug fixes for at
> +least four release cycles and security fixes for six release cycles. The Git
> +project will hand over maintainership of the long-term release to distributors
> +in case they need to extend the life of that long-term release even further. In
> +that case, the backporting process will be handled by these distributors, but
> +the long-term release tags will be created in the canonical Git repository.
> ++
> +We will evaluate the impact on downstream distributions before making Rust
> +mandatory in Git 3.0. If we see that the impact on downstream distributions
> +would be significant, we may decide to defer this breaking change to a
> +subsequent minor release. This evaluation will also take into account our own
> +learnings with how painful it is to keep Rust an optional component.

I think this last paragraph is a welcome addition as it makes it clear 
we're not going to blindly pursue rust if it causes widespread problems. 
Personally I'd say "experience" rather than "learnings" but that's 
probably me being a grumpy pedant.

Thanks

Phillip