Subject: Re: [PATCH 04/11] config-batch: create 'help' command

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2026 23:20:25 -0500

On 2/5/2026 11:49 PM, Jean-Noël Avila wrote:
> Le 04/02/2026 à 15:19, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget a écrit :

>> ++
>> +Here is the currentl output of the help text at the latest version:
> It may not be wise to talk about the "latest version". If the manpages
> and the git command are out of sync (the user compiles her own git
> version, but does not update the man pages), this may be confusing.
> 
> Is this specification of version critical to the understanding?

It's important to talk about how to build tools that work against
versions that don't match the current documentation.

If you build something against v2.58.0 and we deprecate them in
v2.59.0 and delete them in v3.0.0, then the tool should know that
the command isn't available (and maybe it was replaced with a v2).

The same holds for someone who builds against v3.0.0 but their
tool is run against v2.58.0 and the feature they want to use isn't
available (or not at the same version).

Thanks,
-Stolee