Subject: [PATCH 3/5] merge-ort: free diff pairs queue in clear_or_reinit_internal_opts()

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2026 00:26:09 +0000

From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>

clear_or_reinit_internal_opts() is responsible for cleaning up the
various data structures in merge_options_internal.  It already handles
many renames-related structures (dirs_removed, dir_renames,
relevant_sources, cached_pairs, deferred, etc.) but does not free
renames->pairs[].queue.

In the normal code path, resolve_and_process_renames() frees
pairs[s].queue and reinitializes it with diff_queue_init() before
clear_or_reinit_internal_opts() runs, so the omission is harmless.
However, if collect_merge_info() encounters an error and returns early
(before resolve_and_process_renames() is ever called), any diff pairs
already queued by collect_rename_info()/add_pair() will have their
backing array leaked.

Fix this by freeing renames->pairs[].queue in the cleanup function.
In the normal path the pointer is already NULL (from the earlier
diff_queue_init() in resolve_and_process_renames()), so free(NULL) is
a safe no-op.

Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
---
 merge-ort.c | 2 ++
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)

diff --git a/merge-ort.c b/merge-ort.c
index 74e9636020..8f911cb639 100644
--- a/merge-ort.c
+++ b/merge-ort.c
@@ -728,6 +728,8 @@ static void clear_or_reinit_internal_opts(struct merge_options_internal *opti,
 		strintmap_clear_func(&renames->deferred[i].possible_trivial_merges);
 		strset_clear_func(&renames->deferred[i].target_dirs);
 		renames->deferred[i].trivial_merges_okay = 1; /* 1 == maybe */
+		free(renames->pairs[i].queue);
+		diff_queue_init(&renames->pairs[i]);
 	}
 	renames->cached_pairs_valid_side = 0;
 	renames->dir_rename_mask = 0;
-- 
gitgitgadget