Subject: Re:

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 11:26:32 +0100

Am 27.02.2018 um 02:18 schrieb Alan Gage:
> Hello, I recently noticed a bug involving GitBash and Python. I was
> running a function that would post the system time once every second
> using a while loop but the text was only sent after the while loop
> ended due to a timer I had set. Essesntially, instead of it being
> entered every second into the terminal, it was entered all at once,
> when the loop ended. I tried this with the Command Line, among other
> things, and it worked as intended, with the text being entered every
> second. This is on Windows 10 Pro with the Fall Creators Update and
> the most recent version of GitBash.

Python buffers its output by default.  On terminals it enables line
buffering, i.e. the accumulated output is flushed when a newline
character is reached.  Otherwise it uses a system-dependent buffer
size in the range of a few kilobytes.  You can check if your output
is a terminal e.g. with:

  python -c "import sys; print(sys.stdout.isatty())"

You can disable buffering by running your script with "python -u".
This discussion mentions more options:

  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/107705/disable-output-buffering

You can also start bash on the command line.  I do wonder why Git CMD
seems to be started in what passes as a terminal, while Git BASH is
not, though.

You may want to check out https://gitforwindows.org/ and report your
findings using their issue tracker.

(This mailing list here, [email-masked], is mostly used for
discussing Git itself, not so much about extra tools like bash or
Python that are packaged with Git for Windows.)

René