Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] t7450: test submodule urls

From: Victoria Dye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:54:47 -0800

Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 05:53:36PM +0000, Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget wrote:
> 
>> +#define TEST_TOOL_CHECK_URL_USAGE \
>> +	"test-tool submodule check-url <url>"
> 
> I don't think this command-line "<url>" mode works at all. Your
> underlying function can handle either stdin or arguments:

...

> All of this is inherited from the existing check_name() code, which I
> think has all of the same bugs. The test scripts all just use the stdin
> mode, so they don't notice. It's not too hard to fix, but maybe it's
> worth just ripping out the unreachable code.

Thanks for pointing out those issues, I think removing the command line
input mode is the way to go. The description of the 'check_name()' mentions
that the stdin mode was "primarily intended for testing". But as 85321a346b5
(submodule--helper: move "check-name" to a test-tool, 2022-09-01) pointed
out, 'check_name()' was never used outside of tests anyway, so whatever use
case was imagined for the command line mode never seemed to have existed. 

Combine that with the fact that the command line mode is so different from
the stdin mode (non-zero exit code for invalid names, prints nothing vs.
zero exit code, prints valid names), there don't seem to be any real
downsides to removing the unused code.

> -Peff