Subject: Re: Git is not recognizing some merge conflicts and just accepting incoming master version

From: Thomas Guyot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:17:20 -0400

On 2024-03-16 05:19, Kai wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the explanations Brian and Hannes. That clarifies it
> a lot. I had not come across such a semantic issue in my limited
> experience with git before, so I was a bit thrown off.
>
> Given this behavior, I still think it would be a great feature for the
> person doing the merge to at least optionally be able to see
> highlighted parts of the code that had any changes between the base
> and the other two branches. Since these parts of the code could
> potentially cause problems much more than lines of code that have not
> been touched by any branch. But I guess that would be more a GUI
> feature than related to git directly, correct? Maybe there is already
> a GUI offering that?

The --diff-merges=combined option (or simply "-c") of git show is 
probably what you're looking for.

There is also a dense-combined (or "--cc") option that skips seemingly 
unrelated hunks, which doesn't mean these hunk aren't problematic, just 
that there's 6+ lines appart.

Regards,

--
Thomas