Subject: file descriptor leak? or expected behavior?

From: Becky Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:58:39 -0600

Folks,

My apologies if this is a known issue/question - I've searched the list 
and haven't found anything about this, but given the volume of traffic, 
it's easy to miss things.....

I grabbed 0.99.9g this morning, and tried to clone Paul Mackerras' 
linux merge tree. The clone failed and reported errors in http-fetch 
with a bunch of messages of the form:

error: Couldn't create temporary file 
.git/objects/04/48fa7de8a416a48cd1977f29858be54e67c078.temp for .git
/objects/04/48fa7de8a416a48cd1977f29858be54e67c078: Error 24: Too many 
open files

I did some experimenting, and it looks like this crops up somewhere 
between git versions  0.99.8f and 0.99.9a.  My question is, is git 
expected to try to open huge numbers of files, or is this a fd leak? I 
cranked up my ulimit, and am still unable to successfully clone this 
tree, although it fails differently (tail end of output....):

progress: 22 objects, 56146 bytes
Also look at 
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
Getting pack list
error: The requested URL returned error: 404
Getting pack list
Getting index for pack e0d76ffe354ef5665028a6cb4506ea902f72e1d0
Getting pack e0d76ffe354ef5665028a6cb4506ea902f72e1d0
which contains 5014bfa48ac169e0748e1e9651897788feb306dc
progress: 1322 objects, 5736795 bytes
cg-fetch: objects fetch failed
cg-clone: fetch failed

The command I ran, and the tree I tried to clone are:

 > cg-clone 
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulus/powerpc-merge.git 
linux-2.6.paul

Cheers,
-B