Subject: [PATCH 3/7] pack-objects(check_pack_inflate()): use size_t instead of unsigned long

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2026 10:51:08 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

`write_reuse_object()` learned to track its packed-object size as
`size_t` in 606c192380 (odb, packfile: use size_t for streaming
object sizes, 2026-05-08), but the comparison sink it feeds,
`check_pack_inflate()`, still takes the expected decompressed size
as `unsigned long`. The call site bridges the mismatch with
`cast_size_t_to_ulong()`, which on Windows turns a >4 GiB object
into an immediate die().

That function only uses `expect` once: as the right-hand side of a
`stream.total_out == expect` equality test against zlib's counter.
zlib's own `total_out` counter is `uLong` and is therefore still
32-bit-bound on Windows. Widening `expect` to `size_t` cannot fix that,
but it is a strict improvement nonetheless: instead of dying outright,
an oversized object now simply makes the equality fail and lets
`write_reuse_object()` fall back to `write_no_reuse_object()`, which
decompresses and re-deflates the content (and which the larger
pack-objects widening series targets separately).

Drop the `cast_size_t_to_ulong()` shim at the call site now that
the receiving parameter speaks the same type as `entry_size`.

Assisted-by: Opus 4.7
Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
 builtin/pack-objects.c | 5 ++---
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/builtin/pack-objects.c b/builtin/pack-objects.c
index fe9fbecb30..975f04d699 100644
--- a/builtin/pack-objects.c
+++ b/builtin/pack-objects.c
@@ -453,7 +453,7 @@ static int check_pack_inflate(struct packed_git *p,
 		struct pack_window **w_curs,
 		off_t offset,
 		off_t len,
-		unsigned long expect)
+		size_t expect)
 {
 	git_zstream stream;
 	unsigned char fakebuf[4096], *in;
@@ -671,8 +671,7 @@ static off_t write_reuse_object(struct hashfile *f, struct object_entry *entry,
 	datalen -= entry->in_pack_header_size;
 
 	if (!pack_to_stdout && p->index_version == 1 &&
-	    check_pack_inflate(p, &w_curs, offset, datalen,
-			       cast_size_t_to_ulong(entry_size))) {
+	    check_pack_inflate(p, &w_curs, offset, datalen, entry_size)) {
 		error(_("corrupt packed object for %s"),
 		      oid_to_hex(&entry->idx.oid));
 		unuse_pack(&w_curs);
-- 
gitgitgadget