Subject: Re: Sparse Checkout Trouble (2.5.0)

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 09:09:38 -0500

On 1/25/2020 3:59 PM, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 7:41 AM Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'm CC'ing Elijah because he also made changes to dir.c, and
>> perhaps he has some idea of what's going on.
> 
> If you think it might be related to the dir.c changes, I can take a
> look.  I don't have any immediate ideas off the top of my head.

The only thing I can think of is that these paths are already
marked as sparse, but something is requiring us to test if the
path can be created with the filesystem. I'll try to debug
more into exactly where that is. It's telling that this happens
both in cone mode and without.

> However, since I'm really suffering with "git read-tree -mu HEAD"
> being the mechanism for updating sparsity (for reasons independent of
> the issue being discussed here), I've been tempted to dig into that
> anyway to write a replacement without the nasty side-effects.  I'll
> take a look early next week and see if I can spot anything.

If by "nasty side-effects" you mean "overwrites staged changes, even
if in the sparse set before and after" then I would welcome such a
change. Otherwise, it will fall to me, and this is far outside of
my expertise. Of course, it is something I should learn, but I can
learn that during code review, too. ;)

Thanks,
-Stolee