Subject: Re: rsync deprecated but promoted?

From: walt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:23:07 -0700

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, walt wrote:
>> Just because you mentioned it, I did a git-fsck-objects on my local
>> copies of your kernel tree and Junio's git tree.
>>
>>  From git I got this:
>> $git-fsck-objects
>> missing commit 00d8bbd3c4bba72a6dfd48c2c0c9cbaa000f13c2
>> broken link from     tag 02b2acff8bafb6d73c6513469cdda0c6c18c4138
>>                to  commit d5bc7eecbbb0b9f6122708bf5cd62f78ebdaafd8
>> <similar lines snipped>
>>
>>  From your tree I got only this single line:
>> dangling commit 02459eaab98a6a57717bc0cacede148fc76af881
> 
> That commit shouldn't be dangling, but I suspect it is harmless and is
> most likely because you have pack-files. Use "git-fsck-cache --full"

Using the --full flag made the error disappear for your kernel tree,
but had no effect on the git tree.

I neglected to mention that I use cg-clone and cg-update rather than
the git equivalents.  (cogito 0.15.1 from kernel.org)

> Your git tree is quote possibly corrupted.

I recloned from http://kernel.org and I still get exactly the same fsck
errors for git, with or without the --full flag.

(I mention this only FYI.  I'm not having any problems compiling or
using either git or the kernel.)