Subject: [PATCH] Make GIT-VERSION-GEN tolerate missing git describe command

From: John Ellson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:23:17 -0500

I think it is probably a bug that "git non_existent_command"
returns its error message to stdout without an error, where
"git-non_existent_command" behaves differently and does return an
error.

Older versions of git did not implement "git describe"  and
GIT-VERSION-GEN produces an empty version string if run on
a system with such a git installed.  The consequence
is that "make rpm" fails.

This patch fixes GIT-VERSION-GEN so that it works in the
absence of a working "git describe"

----------------------------------------

diff --git a/GIT-VERSION-GEN b/GIT-VERSION-GEN
index 196402c..845b9dc 100755
--- a/GIT-VERSION-GEN
+++ b/GIT-VERSION-GEN
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@

  GVF=GIT-VERSION-FILE

-VN=$(git describe --abbrev=4 HEAD 2>/dev/null) || VN=v1.0.GIT
+VN=$(git-describe --abbrev=4 HEAD 2>/dev/null) || VN=v1.0.GIT
  VN=$(expr "$VN" : v'\(.*\)')
  if test -r $GVF
  then

----------------------------------------

Signed-off-by: John Ellson <[email-masked]>