Subject: Re: git-bisect is magical

From: walt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:07:19 -0800

Linus Torvalds wrote:
[...]
> So when you did "git checkout origin", you basically blew away all the 
> development you had done in the default "master" branch, and switched to 
> _another_ branch...

First, many thanks to you, Junio, and Sean (by email) for the great
replies -- all three were extremely helpful, and this is all finally
starting to make sense to me.

Now, I don't know whether this anecdote will give you any new
information, but I'll offer it.

After I did the 'git checkout origin' yesterday, I didn't (yet) know
what I was doing, so I made the following pilot-errors while still
in 'origin':  I did 'git-reset --hard origin' and then very early
this morning I did cg-update, both of which seemed to work fine and
gave no error messages, and I compiled a new kernel from the result.

After reading the three essays from you guys :o) I realized that I
had made these two mistakes, and tried to switch back to master:
$git-branch
  bisect
  master
* origin
$git-checkout master
fatal: Entry 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt' would be overwritten
by merge. Cannot merge.

So I cloned a fresh copy of your repository and built a new kernel.
What I learned from this was that the new fixes to Makefile and
setlocalversion (at a minimum) were not actually applied to the
checked-out sources in my 'origin' misadventure.  (I watched the
commits being listed by cg-update, so I know the fixes were really
downloaded -- but they were not applied to the checked-out sources
as they normally would be.)

Would these anomalous results be expected -- given the, um, unusual
circumstances?

Thanks again!