Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 1/5] builtin/checkout: avoid usage of '!!'

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:39:41 +0530

On Wednesday 20 September 2017 09:30 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> There was a usage for which there's no compelling reason.So, replace
>> such a usage as with something else that expresses the intent more
>> clearly.
> I actually think this is a good example of the exception-rule.  The
> function wants to take true or false in "int", and the caller has a
> pointer.  And !!ptr is a shorter and more established way than ptr
> != NULL to turn non-NULL ness into an int boolean, without having to
> either repeat or introducing an otherwise unnecessary temporary.

Though !!ptr might might be a shorter way to turn a pointer into an
int boolean I think the documentation says pretty well why we
shouldn't be using it,

         "..  can be extremely confusing to others".

Should I drop this treating is an exception rule (or) should I keep this
back?

Thanks,
Kaartic